- 1 What are the vitamin C benefits for skin whitening?
- 1.1 What quality of vitamin C benefits skin whitening?
- 1.1.1 Chemical properties of vitamin C:
- 1.1.2 Pharmaceutical and cosmeceutical properties of vitamin C:
- 1.2 How can I find any product of vitamin C benefits for skin whitening?
- 1.3 What is the best product of vitamin C benefits for skin whitening?
- 18.104.22.168 Garnier skin naturals light complete fairness serum cream:
- 22.214.171.124 Blossom Kochhar aroma magic vitamin c day cream:
- 126.96.36.199 St. Botanica anti-aging and brightening cream:
- 188.8.131.52 WOW skin science vitamin C face cream:
- 184.108.40.206 Vya naturals vitamin c moisturizer:
- 220.127.116.11 Clinique fresh pressed daily booster:
- 18.104.22.168 Zenvista gold collagen vitamin c anti aging cream:
- 22.214.171.124 GNC vitamin c moisturizing cream:
- 1.4 what are the possible side effects of vitamin C whitening products?
- 1.1 What quality of vitamin C benefits skin whitening?
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that has a lot of biochemical and medicinal qualities. It is also called ascorbic acid or ascorbate. Many natural fruits and vegetables contain vitamin C.Those who lack vitamin C in their body, are given dietary supplements of vitamin C such as sodium ascorbate and calcium ascorbate.
It is a natural antioxidant found in many fruits and vegetables. Citrusy foods are generally known for their richness in vitamin c. Even some animals can synthesize vitamin C on their own. But humans lack the enzyme gluconogamma lactone oxidase which is a key enzyme in vitamin C synthesis in the body. In this case, humans have to gt their required vitamin C from plant and animal sources.
When considering vitamin C’s pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamic properties, its bioavailability is 100% and very fast; its protein binding capacity is negligible; its half-life and elimination depend on the blood concentration, and it is mainly excreted via kidneys.
Vitamin C is known for its medical qualities in the medicinal and cosmetic industries. In the medical field, vitamin c is broadly used to treat disease conditions such as scurvy. Vitamin C is used in the medicinal industry for many treatments. As vitamin C acts as a cofactor for several enzymatic reactions, it is useful in many therapies as it has antioxidant qualities.
In the cosmetic industry, for many skincare products, vitamin C is used. Due to the fact that its bioavailability is low when administered orally, it is considered a good dermatological administration. And many studies have proven that vitamin C benefits for skin whitening. There is some special property of vitamin C benefits for skin whitening.
What are the vitamin C benefits for skin whitening?
There are a lot of vitamin C benefits for the skin. As it has good medicinal and cosmetic properties, it is widely used in beauty products. Even in face massage therapies, they use vitamin C serum for some cosmetic purposes.
Vitamin C is used for a lot of purposes.
- To remove acne scars
- To remove dark spots
- To treat under eye dark circles
- To treat dullness of the skin
- To firm the skin
- To enhance the elasticity
- To prevent sagging of the skin
- To treat uneven skin tone
- To reduce hyperpigmentation
- For anti-ageing purpose
- To cleanse the skin
- To supply nutrition to the skin
- To lighten the skin tone.
Because of the vitamin C benefits for skin whitening, it is used in many whitening skincare products as well. To enhance the skin whitening property of vitamin C, some other ingredients such as vitamin E, Niacin, Glutathione, almond oil, honey, yogurt, papaya, potato, tomato, oatmeal, turmeric, etc.
What quality of vitamin C benefits skin whitening?
Vitamin C has a lot of chemicals, pharmaceutical, and cosmeceutical properties. Because of the good cosmetic properties of vitamin C, it is widely used in cosmetic products. But also due to these properties some may get skin irritations at the same time. To use a vitamin C product wisely, you should have proper knowledge about its actions. The chemical properties of vitamin C are very special in its mechanism of action.
Chemical properties of vitamin C:
- It is an asymmetrical molecule that has the structural formula of C6H8O6.
- Molecular weight is 176 atomic mass units
- The melting point is 190- 192C
- Density is 1.65g/ cubic cm
- Soluble in water and alcohol.
- Insoluble in chloroform, benzene, and ether
- Colorless or slightly yellow color solution
- pKa value is 4.2 and 11.6
- pH for a 5% (W/V) solution of water is 2.2- 2.5
- Therefore, it has acidic properties.
- Oxidize easily and even destroyed by light, high temperature, alkali conditions, humidity, copper, and other heavy metals.
Pharmaceutical and cosmeceutical properties of vitamin C:
There are a lot of advantages of vitamin C. it acts as a cofactor for many enzymes inside the body. Therefore, vitamin C is considered as an essential nutrient to our body.
In the medicinal and pharmaceutical field vitamin C is given for those who suffer from vitamin C deficiency. But here we will focus on the advantages of vitamin C in skincare. To act as a whitening agent, vitamin C has a lot of cosetic proprties. They are,
- Antioxidant agent for human skin
- Prevents photo-aging
- Prevents hyperpigmentation
- Involves in collagen synthesis
- Antiinflammatory actions
Vitamin C as an antioxidant for human skin:
A major property of vitamin C benefits for skin whitening is its antioxidant action. It involves the enzyme group which protects the skin from reactive oxygen species (ROS). If you wonder what ROS is, they are the products of oxygen synthesized on the skin due to UV radiation exposure of the skin.
- Superoxide ions
- Singlet oxygen
Vitamin C is soluble in the aqueous compartment of the cells. Therefore, it helps to reduce oxidative stress by donating electrons to neutralize the free radicals formed by ROS. the oxidized forms of vitamin C are comparatively neutral in reactivity.
Anyway, these oxidized forms of vitamin C can be transformed into normal vitamin C back in the presence of a glutathione cofactor. This reaction is regulated by the enzyme, dehydroascorbic acid reductase.By the way, due to this series of reactions, the availability of vitamin C on the skin gets reduced with UV exposure.
Prevention of photoaging by vitamin C:
Exposure to UV radiation causes the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) on the skin as explained above. These ROS can damage the skin cells through a series of reactions. The damages can be occurred to,
- Cellular DNA
- Cell membrane
- Cellular proteins
ROS not only damage the organelles but also interfere with the physiology of the cells. It causes collagen breakdown by interfering with matrix metalloproteinase enzymes. Oxidative stress caused by ROS can lead to inflammations on the skin as well as ageing. Vitamin C is effective in this antiaging property.
It is effective against both damages caused by UVA and UVB radiations. UVA can penetrate deeper into the dermis than UVB. Thus, UVA is responsible for destroying collagen, elastin, proteoglycans, and other cellular organelles. UVA can increase the risk of melanoma with these actions.
Not only UVA, but UVB also can be destructive. It can cause sunburns, skin cancers, and epidermal mutations which are serious. Sunscreen products only have about 55% protection from these harmful UV rays. Therefore, vitamin C plays a major role in preventing damages done by free radicals on the skin.
Vitamin C can be more efficient when mixed with vitamin E in this scenario. As vitamin E is lipid-soluble it’s a lipophilic antioxidant. Thus, the mixture of vitamin C and Vitamin E shows a synergistic anti-oxidant action. They reduce cell apoptosis and thymine dimer formation. However, the combination of vitamin C, Vitamin E, and ferulic acid are used in the prevention of chronic photodamage and skin cancer.
Prevention of hyperpigmentation by vitamin C:
Vitamin C is considered a depigmentation agent. It interferes with the melanogenesis from melanocytes in the occasions where melanogenesis occurs rapidly due to toxic substances.
Tyrosine is a major constituent of melanin. Therefore vitamin C blocks the action of tyrosinase by acting on the active sites as competitive inhibitors. This reduces the melanin synthesis by melanocytes. As vitamin C is an unstable compound, its action can be enhanced by the inclusion of depigmentation agents such as soy and liquorice.
Vitamin C for collagen synthesis:
Vitamin C is a key factor in the collagen synthesis process. The enzymes prolysyl hydroxylase and lysyl hydroxylase regulate collagen synthesis by stabilizing and cross-linking the collagen molecules. And vitamin C acts as a cofactor for these two enzymes.
Vitamin C also involves collagen synthesis by stimulating lipid peroxidation. The end product of this lipid peroxidation is malondialdehyde which triggers the collagen gene expression. It activates the transcription of collagen synthesis and stabilizes the procollagen mRNA.
Even the disease scurvy occurs by impaired formation of collagen protein in the body. Vitamin C is given as a treatment for this condition as it enhances collagen formation.
Anti-inflammatory actions of vitamin C:
Vitamin C has antioxidant properties as explained above. In this scenario, oxidative stress triggers some cellular activities mediated by transcription factors. These transcription factors include ROS upgrade transcription factor activator protein (AP1) which increases the matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) production. This MMP production causes collagen breakdown. Oxidative stress induces nuclear transcription factor kappa B (NFKB).
Vitamin C inhibits NFKB. This prevents the activation of many pro-inflammatory cytokines such as,
- TNF- alfa
This action prevents inflammatory actions on the skin such as acne, rosacea. Vitamin C fastens wound healing and prevents post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as well. This is why vitamin C is used in acne prevention and curing products. In many face care products, vitamin C is included.
How can I find any product of vitamin C benefits for skin whitening?
Skin whitening products include vitamin C as a major constituent. These vitamin C skin whitening products exist in different dosage forms. But mostly the products are semi solid liquid form. These topical products of vitamin C are in a wide range as,
- Vitamin C serum
- Transdermal patches
Vitamin C serum:
The vitamin C serum contains the colorless fluid of active vitamin C. But as active vitamin C is very unstable, it gets destroyed with exposure to sunlight. After oxidization, it converts into dehydroascorbic acid. This end product is yellow.
Vitamin C serum is kept stable by maintaining its PH level at 3.5. As uncharged molecules pass through cell membranes better, vitamin C is highly absorbed through the stratum corneum better with uncharged molecules of it. But the efficacy of vitamin C serum can be directly proportional to the concentration of active vitamin C in it. And that is 20%. After administration of a maximum topical concentration of the serum, its half-life is 4 days. Therefore, effective photoprotection can be achieved by applying it subsequently every 8 hours. The combination of tyrosine, zinc, and vitamin C has shown enhanced efficiency in UV protection
Some of the popular vitamin C serum products are,
- Dr. Dennis Gross C+ collagen Brightens and firm serum
- Mario Badescu vitamin C serum
- Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum
- The Ordinary Vitamin C suspension 23% + HA spheres 2%
- SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
- Drunk Elephant C Firma day serum
Vitamin C creams:
There are several vitamin C creams in the market. Some may not be as effective as much. As vitamin c creams include other ingredients there are some other characteristics to these creams. Vitamin c is safe to combine with substances such as alpha-hydroxy acids, retinol, and SPF.
In some rare cases of vitamin c hypersensitivity, these creams can give you irritations and skin rashes. But for many instances,
- The creams are mostly suitable for all skin types.
- They hydrate the skin and retain the moisture
- They brighten the skin tone because of the antioxidant activity of vitamin C
- They even out the skin complexion and reduce acne scars and dark spots.
- Prevents hyperpigmentation caused by ROS free radicals on the skin
- Prevents and cures the under-eye circles
- Boost up collagen production
- Prevent skin sagging and increase firmness.
- Provides good protection from UVA and UVB rays
- Reduces sunburns
- Boost up the wound healing by the anti-inflammatory properties of vitamin C
Several vitamin C creams in the market are considered good quality.
- GNC vitamin C moisturizing cream
- Zenvista gold collagen vitamin C anti-ageing cream
- Clinique fresh pressed daily booster
- Vya Naturals vitamin C moisturizer
- WOW skin science vitamin C face cream
- St. Botanica anti-aging and brightening cream
- Blossom Kochhar aroma magic vitamin C daily cream
- Garnier skin naturals light complete fairness serum cream
Vitamin C transdermal patches:
As oral administration of vitamin C is less effective because of its low bioavailability, it is considered that the dermal route is more appropriate for vitamin C. Hence, vitamin C transdermal patches are available on the market.
Do vitamin C patches work? yes because of the quicker absorption of vitamin C through the dermal layer this method is effective. But in the case of high molecular weight ingredients, they can be low in dermal absorption. These are even prescribed as food supplements in vitamin C deficiency conditions.
When a transdermal patch is attached to your skin,
- Its drug content is released into the stratum corneum
- Drug diffuse through stratum corneum via tortuous intercellular lipid pathway
- Drug partition from the lipid stratum corneum into the aqueous viable epidermis.
- Entering into the systemic circulation via blood capillary network
Examples for some available vitamin C transdermal patches are,
- Patch MD vitamin C plus topical patch
- Osmotic anti-wrinkle patches
- Blue morning vitamin C patches
- Mary’s Medicinals vitamin C transdermal patches
Except these products there are some makeup products of vitamin C as a constituent as well. Some lip stick products, blushers, makeup bases, makeup removers, and rose powders have it for a better treatment.
What is the best product of vitamin C benefits for skin whitening?
The more natural the product, the safer to apply. There are several vitamin C products in the market. There is no such one product as the best vitamin C beauty product in the market. Among vitamin c products for skin whitening in the market, some are known for their quality assurance.
Garnier skin naturals light complete fairness serum cream:
The triple protection of vitamin C serum, yuzu lemon makes Garnier skin naturals light complete fairness serum cream more effective. It’s known for high absorption and penetration into deeper dermal layers of the skin. It lightens the dark spots and refreshes the skin within only one week.
The advantages of Garnier skin naturals light complete fairness serum cream are,
- Quick absorption
- Prevents clogging the skin pores
- Making the skin more radiant
Blossom Kochhar aroma magic vitamin c day cream:
This is a nongreasy cream that is rich in SPF15. Vitamin C is combined with pomegranate juice, shea butter, aloe vera, in Blossom Kochhar aroma magic vitamin C day cream.
The advantages of Blossom Kochhar aroma magic vitamin C day cream are,
- Balancing of the skin PH level
- Retaining the moisture in the face
- 100% natural
- Softens and nourishes the skin
- Brightens the skin
St. Botanica anti-aging and brightening cream:
St. Botanica anti-aging and brightening cream smoothens the skin and refreshes the skin. The hyaluronic acid, vitamin c, and oils in the mixture provide long-lasting hydration to the skin.
The advantages of St. Botanica anti-aging and brightening cream are,
- Making the skin firm and supple
- Anti-aging property
- Quick absorption
WOW skin science vitamin C face cream:
WOW skin science vitamin C face cream has the best quality with its constituents vitamin C, shea butter, hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, and almond oil.
The advantages of WOW skin science vitamin C face cream are,
- Even the skin tone
- Prevents the signs of aging
- Hydrates the skin
- Repair the skin damages
- Restores the lipid barrier of the skin
- Reduces the dark spots
- Suit for all the skin types
- Free from parabens, silicone, mineral oils, and artificial fragrances and colorings
Vya naturals vitamin c moisturizer:
Vya Naturals vitamin C moisturizer not only hydrates the skin but also provides effective antioxidant action against free radicals. As it is organic, it’s safe for any skin type.
The advantages of Vya naturals vitamin C moisturizer are,
- Prevents dark spots and wrinkles
- Anti-aging action
- Hydrating the skin
- Non-greasy texture
- 100% natural ingredients
Clinique fresh pressed daily booster:
Clinique fresh pressed daily booster, boosts up the skin youthfulness. wit h the vitamin C-rich formula prevents dark spots, acne scars, and brightens the skin tone.
The advantages of Clinique fresh pressed daily booster are,
- Prevents skin dullness and lightens the skin
- Quick absorption
- Free of parabens, and artificial fragrance
- Anti-aging property
Zenvista gold collagen vitamin c anti aging cream:
Zenvista gold collagen vitamin C anti-aging cream is known for good collagen production and prevention of wrinkles and fine lines in the face. Also, the vitamin C-rich formula enhances skin youthfulness by preventing dark spots and providing softness.
The advantages of zenvista gold collagen vitamin C anti-aging cream are,
- Smoothing the skin
- Hydrating the skin
- Evening the skin tone
- Quick and better absorption
- Prevention of aging signs
- Boosting up of collagen synthesis.
GNC vitamin c moisturizing cream:
GNC vitamin C moisturizing cream not only hydrates the skin but also brightens the skin by its antioxidant properties. It keeps your skin glow from within.
The advantages of GNC vitamin C moisturizing cream are,
- Non-greasy texture
- Prevention of wrinkles and dark spots
- Hydrates the skin
- Adds radiance
- Brightens the skin tone
what are the possible side effects of vitamin C whitening products?
In some rare cases, vitamin C can cause skin irritations. Especially if you have sensitive skin, you should apply any vitamin C product with caution.
The ingredient which can be irritant is magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. Some other ingredients such as coloring agents, fragrance agents, and parabens can be allergic for you as well.
How to prevent skin irritations by vitamin C products?
As vitamin C products are generally recommended o apply twice a day, you don’t have to apply likewise for the first time. If it is your first time applying a vitamin C whitening product, make sure you apply it in a small area of the body first. Remain it without washing for 24 hours.
If no side effect seems to appear you can continue to use the product. But if skin irritation occurs after few hours of application, wash the skin thoroughly and do not use that product on your skin again.