- 1 How to reduce blood pressure instantly by knowing the causes of it?
- 2 How to reduce blood pressure instantly by having a healthy diet plan?
- 2.0.1 Reduce carbohydrates
- 2.0.2 Eat more potassium and less sodium
- 2.0.3 Reduce consumption of processed food
- 2.0.4 Dark chocolates
- 2.0.5 Use more medicinal herbs and spices when cooking
- 2.0.6 Consume more proteins
- 2.0.7 Take necessary supplements
- 2.0.8 Cut excess caffeine
- 3 How to reduce blood pressure instantly by doing regular exercises?
- 4 How to reduce blood pressure instantly by maintaining a stress-free environment?
- 5 How to reduce blood pressure instantly by practicing a healthy behavioral pattern?
- 6 How to reduce blood pressure instantly by using medications?
The blood pressure consists of two measurements.
- Systolic blood pressure- The force exerted on a unit area of an artery in the right ventricular contraction (systole). The value is 120mmHg in a normal adult.
- Diastolic blood pressure- The force exerted on a unit area of an artery in the right ventricular relaxation. (diastole). This value is 80mmHg several other factors can be normal adults.
The normal blood pressure of an adult is indicated as 120/80mmHg. If you wonder what is high blood pressure, it can be two types as well.
- Acute high blood pressure
- Chronic high blood pressure
The blood pressure can be high for the short term due to acute causes such as emotions. But technically, this condition is not considered serious unless it leads the patient into severe conditions. But when a person has a value higher than 120/80mmHg for a prolonged time (chronically) it is called “High blood pressure” or “Hypertension”.
Acute or chronic high blood pressure can be occurred due to different reasons. Therefore, it is better to know how to reduce blood pressure instantly by knowing the causes of it.
Acute high blood pressure is the increase of the force exerted on a unit area of an artery wall by the blood flow for a short time. Acute high blood pressure usually can remain for a few minutes to few hours.
There can be several acute causes of high blood pressure such as,
- Acute stress
- Medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Drug-drug interactions
- Drug-food interactions
- Sudden or acute pain
- Whitecoat effect (the anxiety that specifically occurs when visiting a doctor)
- Anger or hot temper
- Overwhelmed or surprised emotions
High blood pressure can occur in your body for a long time without your awareness about it. When the blood pressure remains higher than 120/80mmHg level for several few months to years, this condition is called chronic high blood pressure.
In many instances, patients above 40 years old do not practice their regular medical checkups and lead to such complications. Even after knowing that you have high blood pressure, the medications may not be powerful enough to reduce it.
In chronic high blood pressure, there can be again two types.
- Primary (essential) hypertension- no identifiable cause for high blood pressure, but commonly occurs gradually with age. This condition can be seen in many old-aged patients.
- Secondary hypertension- the high blood pressure caused by a known chronic reason. This can occur to patients of any age.
Anyhow, you can prevent getting it by knowing the chronic causes of high blood pressure and working on it. The causes can be,
- Sleep apnea
- Mental illnesses
- High salt consumption for a prolonged time
- High cholesterol levels (LDL)
- Family history of high blood pressure
- Kidney diseases
- cancers/ adrenal gland tumor
- Thyroid gland complications
- Congenital birth defects of heart or blood vessels (eg: hole in the heart)
- Certain medications (eg: birth control pills, OTC cold medications, pain killers)
- Illegal drugs (eg: heroin, cocaine, amphetamines)
- Smoking and alcohol consumption for a long time
The reasons can vary from one person to another person according to their body conditions. The above-mentioned causes are the common causes that have been observed by secondary hypertensive patients. It is better to know how to reduce high blood pressure by knowing the chronic causes of it.
If you have high blood pressure for a long time without awareness, it can cause serious damages to your brain, heart, and other body parts with time. Therefore, it is better to understand the symptoms of high blood pressure to take the necessary preventive measures.
The common symptoms can be,
- Sleep apnea
- Facial flushing
- Blood spots in eyes
- pounding sensation in your chest, neck, or ears
- Having irregular heartbeat
- Blood in urine
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- Vision problems
- Nose bleeding
- Severe headache
These symptoms also can vary from person to person. And also these symptoms can be an indicator of some other disease than high blood pressure. So it is always good for you to consult a doctor and get the necessary medications.
For example, nose bleeding is a sign of stroke. And a stroke can occur due to hypertension. As these complications are related to one another, you can not directly conclude that the symptoms are from high blood pressure only.
Hope you have gained some knowledge on the symptoms of high blood pressure so far. Let’s move on to the preventive measures and treatments.
Prevention is better than cure. Therefore, having a healthy meal habit is better for your health. Especially to prevent getting chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, atherosclerosis, food habits matter a lot.
As the most common mechanism, atherosclerosis paves the way for hypertension. To be more collaborative on this,
- Step 1- high saturated fats consumption/ high intake of sugar which converts into harmful lipids through triglycerides
- Step 2- increase of LDL and other harmful lipid entities levels in the blood
- Step 3- fat deposition in the artery walls by narrowing the artery lumen
- Step 4- when the same amount of blood flows at a unit of time by a narrower space, the blood flow gets pressurized.
This is the most basic mechanism of hypertension. But several other factors can be associated with this process. Therefore you should know how to reduce blood pressure instantly by having a healthy diet plan.
As being overweight is related to hypertension commonly, it is important to maintain the body weight at a healthy level by balancing the carbohydrate intake. Consuming low-carb diets are reported as even more effective than low-fat diets.
The carbohydrates include direct sugar as well. The excess glucose is converted into fat by the liver and deposit in the body tissues. Therefore, it is an indirect but considerable cause of high blood pressure.
And also there’s another advantage of low carb diets because the time taken to empty the stomach is also increased. Because you take more proteins with the diet, they take extra time to digest. Therefore, it takes a bit more time to become hungry again.
Potassium affects directly lowering blood pressure as the opposite of what sodium does. Sodium is a main factor of hypertension because it increases the osmotic pressure in the blood, which leads kidneys to retain more water in the bloodstream, ultimately causing high blood pressure. Therefore, it is highly recommended to reduce sodium intake if you are having hypertension already.
And also potassium affects lowering blood pressure in other ways too. That is by easing the tension of artery walls by helping them expand properly. Therefore, it is recommended to consume food rich in potassium such as,
- Milk or dairy products
- Fruits such as banana, avocado, oranges, apricots
- Vegetables such as potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, green leaves
But note that the high potassium intake may not be good for patients with kidney complications. And also some of you may have salt sensitivity which can lead to other complications as well. However, it is better to consult a doctor before consuming anything in an extra dose.
Processed food usually contains a high amount of salt than your home-cooked meals. This is to enhance the taste. The salt may not only be sodium chloride, but also monosodium glutamate (MSG) and many other synthetic chemicals.
Food items such as chips, pizza, canned soups, snacks, deli meats are known to have a high amount of salts in them.
The US food and drug administration (FDA) has defined 5% of sodium in a food label as low salt and 20% of sodium in a label as high salt. Therefore, when buying processed food items you have to be cautious about the salt percentage in them.
And another important fact is that low-fat food also contains a high amount of salts. This is because usually, the fat content in a food is the ingredient that makes us feel full after eating. When the fat content is low, they use excess salts to stimulate the same sense.
Therefore, it is better to cut down the processed food consumption as much as possible to maintain the blood pressure at a healthy level. An extra benefit of this is preventing getting other unwanted harmful additives and preservatives into your body. Freshly home-cooked meals are highly recommended for hypertension patients.
Dark chocolates have the effect of lowering blood pressure. Dark means the chocolate must include 60% or 70% cocoa in it. This is exactly why dark chocolate is considered a stress reliever.
Same as the proverb “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”, one or two squares of dark chocolate a day might keep your doctor away as well. This is because it lowers the risk of heart attack, hypertension, and also inflammations.
In some countries such as India, China, Srilanka, there’s high consumption of spices when preparing food. This is considered good practice for your health. Herbal medicines and spices have shown progress towards maintaining healthy blood pressure in the individuals who consume them regularly.
But the doses should be measured with caution because herbal medications can cause liver diseases in later life when consumed in high doses. Therefore, it is recommended to ask a doctor or a pharmacist before using any herbal supplement.
The herbal products that are used to lower blood pressure are,
- Umbrella tree bark
- Tea (specifically green tea and oolong tea)
- Sesame oil
- River Lilly
- Maritime pine bark
- Indian Plantago
- Giant dodder
- Ginger root
- Chinese hawthorn
- Black bean
Especially garlic, or garlic supplements are taken for high blood pressure. This was proven by studies that garlic is effective in lowering high blood pressure.
High protein diets have shown progress toward reducing cardiac diseases and high blood pressure. Mainly because proteins take time to be digested and empty the stomach, the person doesn’t get hungry more often.
This is helpful to lose weight as well. But when taking proteins you have to be cautious about the fats of the food you are consuming as well. For example, if you are having eggs for your protein portion, try to avoid the yellow yolk and consume only the white albumin in it.
Some food items that are rich in proteins are,
- Poultry (eg: chicken breast)
But high protein intake may not be compatible with patients who are having kidney complications. The high protein intake is predicted to be related to kidney stones, and bladder stones. Therefore always consult a doctor when going for excess supplements.
According to the food culture of some countries, they do not use the proper amount of nutrients in their daily diets. In such situations, they are recommended to take the necessary food supplements to maintain proper health.
Especially to lower hypertension, there are some supplements.
These supplements contain omega3 fatty acids which are effective in lowering blood pressure and also lowering the risk of heart attacks. It is reported that the blood pressure is dropped from 4.5/3.0mmHg in the patients who consume fish oil supplements.
Whey protein is found in milk. Therefore, this supplement is given to those who do not consume milk or dairy products in their regular diets. This protein gives a lot of benefits to maintain healthy body physiology and also it lowers blood pressure as well.
It is proven that magnesium deficiency leads to high blood pressure. Therefore magnesium supplements are prescribed for those who suffer from magnesium deficiency to reduce blood pressure.
CoenzymeQ10 is an antioxidant. It has shown progress towards reducing high blood pressure by 17/10mmHg.
L-citrulline is a precursor of L-arginine. And arginine is a substance that is needed in protein synthesis inside the body. Therefore, citrulline affects indirectly lowers blood pressure.
Caffeine increases blood pressure acutely. This is why it energizes the body in the morning and it reduces sleepiness at night. This effect may last about 45 minutes to 1 hour. This limit may differ from one another.
It is recommended to consume decaffeinated coffee for those who have a regular practice of drinking coffee 3-4 times a day. And the consumption can be gradually reduced until the addiction is gone.
Studies have proven that consumption of caffeine in patients who already have hypertension, can be harmful.
Doing regular exercises can burn the deposited fat from your body. When the fat depositions become less, those fats that are deposited in the artery walls may also dissolve away. Even though the exercises increase the blood pressure for a few minutes, they can be helpful to reduce chronic hypertension.
It is good to know how to reduce blood pressure instantly by doing regular exercises. It is better to consult a doctor and a fitness trainer to make a proper exercise plan for yourself than to do random exercises. Because certain exercises are more effective for you.
Maintaining a proper exercise schedule and following it every day can be effective. Even though the results do not occur overnight, the results may occur over time.
Doing exercises can be helpful in many other diseases as well. It may,
- Reduce the risk of heart attack
- Reduce body weight and improve flexibility
- Improve body physiology
- Energize the body
- Improve the lung capacity and cure the breathing complications
- Keep a proper blood circulation
- Provide a good blood supply for the brain and keep you out of mental disorders
- Keep the proper functioning of arms and legs
- Develop the endurance and fitness
As the body physiology is related to one another, the minor complications may be automatically cured. And ultimately the blood pressure will be maintained at a normal level. There are certain exercises that you can do to prevent hypertension. They are,
- Doing team sports and games
- Riding bicycles
- Gardening and household chores
- Water skiing
- Doing aerobic dancing, Zumba dancing, or any other kind of dancing
- Running up and down a staircase
- Doing gym exercises by machines
You have to focus on losing weight if you are overweight only. In this case, you may need some strenuous exercises. But if you are in the proper weight you will only need exercises to maintain your body fitness.
Mental stress is a direct method of increasing blood pressure. Emotions and chronic mental disorders can cause hypertension acutely or chronically. This is a factor that can be prevented by using a few simple behavioural patterns. It is good to know how to reduce blood pressure instantly by maintaining a stress-free environment.
Communication is the key remedy of mental stress. When you are facing a problem in life, it is always good to talk about it with the relevant people. Especially if you can go for counselling and get professional help, the stress will not last long.
Most of the time, people become stressed with working too hard. When the schedules are busy, it is normal to become stressed. But by proceeding this way for a few months the person can fall into depression. And these conditions can cause hypertension. Therefore improving your communication skills can reduce hypertension to some extent.
A clean and tidy environment is a relief for life. It can be home or working place. The untidiness and ugliness of a place that you spend most of the time, can lead you to stress. This can cause hypertension indirectly.
Therefore, make sure to keep your place clean and tidy to make it a pleasant environment to live in. Also, your doing it is recommended to associate with a lot of green environment in stress-relieving.
The studies have shown that the world’s happiness scale is directly proportional to the green spaces of a country. When the urbanization and crowd go up, the community becomes less happy and stressed. Therefore associating nature and a clean environment is a good way of reducing stress and blood pressure.
Sleep is a key factor of stress-relieving. Usually, for an adult, it is recommended to have a good sleep of a minimum of 6 hours per day. And this sleep is better to be uninterrupted for 6 hours. This is because you will still feel tired if you have several interruptions during sleep.
Having less sleep can cause stress. And also your best self may not come out during the daily chores as well. In the present society, the sleep requirement is even high because they use computers and mobile phones all day which can strain their eyes. In this situation, it is good to have about 8 hours of sleep a day.
In Japan, all the school children and company workers must sleep at noon after lunch for an hour. This is shown by studies that they become more effective after sleep.
Older people, commonly have sleep apnea and do not get proper sleep every day. This is considered a key factor of hypertension among aged people. Even in young people, having a good sleep is recommended to reduce blood pressure.
Sometimes there can be situations that people can’t help but have less sleep with a busy lifestyle. In some companies and institutions, they have a certain amount of leaves that workers have to get compulsorily. This is to keep the working force more effective and less exhausted.
You must have a rest after strenuous working days. This relaxation can indirectly reduce stress and blood pressure. In
This is a beneficial practice for your entire life. When it comes to health, it is always better for you to have a good sense and work with mindfulness. Correct decision-making can lead to fewer problems and also solve many of your upcoming problems in advance.
Sometimes there can be people with a hot temper. These people become angry easily and act furiously with a bad sense of decision-making. It is normal for a human to become angry. But the psychologists convey that, people have to control their temper and actions wisely. This self-control can lead to a beautiful life without stress.
And by correct decision making, you can avoid a lot of problems in life. This can reduce stress and reduce blood pressure.
Hypertension can be prevented by simple and healthy behavioural patterns. It is good to know how to reduce blood pressure instantly by practising a healthy behavioural pattern. These practices include,
- Quit smoking- smoking is bad for your lungs as well as many other health issues. Mainly tobacco and nicotine can increase blood pressure instantly. But with long term usage of these chemicals, can damage blood vessels, cause inflammation, narrow the arteries, and increase blood pressure. Also, smoking increases heart rate. Therefore, quitting smoking is a good preventive measure for hypertension.
- Quit alcohol- same as smoking, alcohol also causes high blood pressure with chronic usage. It can also cause kidney and liver complications such as cirrhosis. The high concentration of alcohol in the blood can cause hypertension. Therefore quitting alcohol is also good for your overall health.
- Quit heroin, and other illegal drugs- heroin, cocaine, and any other addictive illegal drugs are mostly pain killers. These drugs affect blood pressure as well as the central nervous system. The chronic usage of these chemicals can cause severe addiction. These practices are very bad for your health. These chemicals directly increase blood pressure.
- Yoga and meditation- meditation is used as a treatment to reduce stress. And also yoga improves breathing control and postures. Both of these practices are known to reduce stress and blood pressure.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight at a normal BMI level- maintaining a healthy body weight is a key factor in reducing hypertension. Being overweight can lead to hypertension as well as diabetes. Therefore by exercises and food habits, the body mass index should be maintained at the normal level for a better life.
- Getting the necessary medications rationally- certain medicines can cause hypertension. When taking supplements, vitamins, and OTC medications, you have to be cautious about their side effects. Rational medications prescribed by a professional doctor can be called safe. Because home remedies and the above-mentioned methods can cause drug-drug interactions without your awareness and lead to serious health issues.
- Happy and peaceful life- spending a happy and peaceful life is directly related to blood pressure. Whenever you are in stressful situations your blood pressure and heart rate may increase. When facing these situations over and over again, you can lead to chronic hypertension.
How to reduce blood pressure instantly by using medications?
All the above-mentioned home remedies are for the prevention of hypertension. But what if you have already got it without awareness? In that case, you have to know how to reduce blood pressure instantly by using medications.
Usually, these medications reduce blood pressure instantly. And some of these medications should be taken forever, after the diagnosis of chronic high blood pressure.
Mainly the antihypertensive medications are in a few drug classes. Those are,
- Calcium channel blocker
- ACE inhibitors
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers
- Centrally acting drugs
Calcium ions cause muscle contraction in the artery walls by narrowing the arteries. Calcium channel blockers, limit the entrance of calcium ions into the smooth muscle cells in arteries and the heart. By this, the heart doesn’t increase the rate and force of beating. And ultimately the blood pressure is reduced.
Eg: Amlodipine besylate, Felodipine, Diltiazem, Isradipine, Verapamil hydrochloride
Angiotensin II directly acts on the blood vessels and constricts the arteries by causing hypertension.
Eg: Candesartan, Eprosartan mesylate, irbesartan, losartan potassium, telmisartan, valsartan
These drugs are also called water pills. They increase the excretion of more water from the kidneys through urine. This eventually reduces the volume of blood and reduces blood pressure as well.
- Diuretics can be of several types.
- Thiazide diuretics (eg: Chlorthalidone, Microzide)
- Potassium sparing diuretics (eg: Amiloride, aldactone, Dyrenium)
- Loop diuretics (eg: bumetanide, furosemide)
- Combination diuretics- having more than one mechanism
Beta-blockers reduce the force of the heartbeat eventually decreasing the blood pressure.
Eg: Atenolol, Propanolol, Metoprolol tartrate, metoprolol succinate, carvedilol
Alpha-blockers can be alpha-1 and alpha-2 blockers. Alpha-1 blockers bind to alpha-1 receptors by blocking catecholamines. Catecholamines such as epinephrine and norepinephrine increase the heart rate and the force of the heartbeat, ultimately increasing the blood pressure.
The alpha-1 receptors are situated in the artery walls. The catecholamines bind to these alpha-1 receptors by constricting the muscles of the artery wall. Therefore, alpha-1 inhibitors act as competitive inhibitors for these receptors and block the catecholamines. This causes the relaxation of blood vessels and helps the blood to flow without pressurizing.
Eg: Doxazosin mesylate, prazosin hydrochloride, terazosin hydrochloride
Alpha-2 receptors are a bit different from alpha-1 receptors. The production of norepinephrine is blocked by alpha-2 activation. Therefore, the blood vessels keep relaxed by maintaining low blood pressure.
Eg: Clonidine, Guanabenz acetate
As the name implies these drugs cause vasodilation. This prevents vasoconstriction and high blood pressure.
Eg: Hydralazine hydrochloride, Minoxidil